Tips for a great 2019 for our friends in Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of North & South Spartanburg wants you to start the New Year off right by taking some steps to help insure a safe and happy 2019. Here are some tips that may help!
- Do not wait for daylight savings time to check your smoke detector. All smoke detectors have a manufacturing date on them. If that date over 10 years old, replace it! Also if your home has gas or oil heat it is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
- What was learned with the Gatlinburg fire is that there is not always time to gather things when an evacuation is required. Keep a pre-packed bag handy with some cash, changes of clothes, medications, copies of important documents, etc.
- Have your family practice fire drills to make sure everyone knows how to escape, what to do and where to meet should a fire occur.
- If you are traveling and will be away for several days, please be sure to turn off the water so you do not come home to any surprises. Also, lower your thermostat but do not turn off the heat if there is a chance of freezing temperatures.
- If you are using rubber hoses for the water supply to your washing machine, they need to be replaced every 5 years. Consider using steel braided hoses as they are much more durable than rubber ones.
- Periodically check the water supply lines on ice makers and dish washers for signs of wear and replace when needed.
- Keep a properly rated fire extinguisher in your kitchen and be sure to have them checked periodically by a professional.
- Make sure you know where the critical shutoffs are in your home for main power, water and gas if applicable.
SERVPRO of North & South Spartanburg wishes you a wonderful and prosperous 2019!!